View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thyme

enabling house bound father

Hi, i'm looking for some guidance here. my father is 81 and stone deaf and also an alcoholic, he has always drank, but he has definately got worse as he has got older, he used to hold a respectable job when he was younger, but took early retirement, and has gradually reclined. He remarried my mother25 years ago, they have always had an on and off relationship, and my mother , i think always been unhappy, but always blaming my dad. I really don't know who is to blame, but always feel i am piggy in the middle. The problem is now my father is totally housebound, he cannot walk easily even to go to the bathroom, but he still needs his whisky, and my mother always gets his drink when she goes to the supermarket, she is age 80 but very fit, and very resentful of my father, as she thinks he is holding her back from enjoying life. he has never wanted to go anywhere, and my mother wants to do everything, like travel abroad etc. He is now demanding more and more alcohol, and i am getting involved, as my father says i should help my mother do the weekly shop, as she is not feeling well. I have tried to tell mother she should say no i'm not buying it for you, but she can't do that because he is very domineering, and she just gives in for the sake of peace. What should i do? just leave them to get on with it or what?. I do drive my mother to get her shopping but she is not dependant on me