View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
vegibean

Hey ashlee, I am going to go way off the "God" topic and tell you works for ME!!

I do not believe in a god, I have found for myself that I would often get p*ssed off, want to blame, etc. and not to mention I really never hear anything back from that God.

Long story short.........I use what I have already inside me.

When I feel down, I talk to myself. I meditate. I know that if I practice self honesty that I will have the best answers for myself. And by the way, that DOES MEAN if I need a good @ss kicking, so be it, I give myself one. I also encourage myself and am the best d@mn cheerleader I have. I know I can depend on myself to get whatever tasks done and that when I wake up in the morning, it's going to me, that makes me happy.

What gave me hope and kept my faith alive in the beginning was looking to all the others before me that struggled and succeeded with their sobriety. It didn't matter if they believed in God, or what their preference was but their motivation and strength to keep going, stay sober and have a better life drove me to say "Self, I can do this if they can!!" Girl, I am the Queen of my Castle today.

I just recently spoke at a meeting and it's been what I've shared with others as well...... if someone would have shown me two years ago where I would be today, I would have thought I won the damn lottery. My life was bad, I was miserable, despaired, depressed, angry.......you name it. Bad, bad, bad!!

I do suggest getting a sponsor and working the steps. I did, they will give you the tools to help you work out your issues and get through life's challenges. Calling a sponsor keeps accountable every day too.

This is your recovery, you can make it custom to what works for you. For most we share the same path to getting there but everyone has something they like to tweak here and there for themselves, GO FOR IT!!!! Whatever works for you.

Good for you for asking the questions. My best to you!!