Thread: Illogic
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by thirtybubba View Post
It's an invisible problem in broad daylight.

Most people knew about me...I didn't try to hide. There were plenty of jokes about my drinking...I joked along. I went to a party school...so no one thought my behavior was out of the norm...or if they did think it was excessive NO ONE SAID A WORD.

It didn't matter...I wouldn't have listened. I drank my way through school, graduated, and hung around the town for a couple more years.

I knew my problem was serious...more blackouts...several empty boxes of wine taking up residence in my apartment....drunk at work. I couldn't stop...so I moved back home to live with my parents. It didn't work. I still found ways to drink and hide it...but my parents knew and commented about it. All that did was p!ss me off. I wouldn't listen to anyone...I really needed help. Some time later heart palpitations scared me into quitting...but quitting didn't stick. I found this web site and was a chronic relapser. I hit a turning point back in March: drink or kill myself. Those were my only options...I was mentally sick. I did drink...but I also reached out for help. Long story a little shortened, therapy and meds helped me immensely and I still use SR as a part of my recovery.

When I reached out for help I finally admitted that I had a mental illness...depression. I was in denial about that far longer than I was about my alcoholism.

The depression hit before my drinking problem did. I couldn't convince myself that something was wrong with my head and I needed serious help...so I found some relief in alcohol. Before I knew it I picked up addiction along the way.

Take care of yourself, TB. Get to a meeting. Talk to a counselor. Whatever you do, reach out for help.