View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
xge910

Drinking in moderation

QUOTEING Zebra1275

>Nobody asked me for my opinion, so dismiss this if you want. But I’ve >passed the age of 50, which I think is a milestone for throwing your opinion >out and not giving a rip about what other people think about it. (And I >suspect that hitting the age of 60 is the point at which a man can were >black socks and sandals and walk around the beach with a metal detector
>and not give a rip).

Hey my dad does that, and finds lots-o-cool stuff!

> Anyway, one of the things I’m trying to do in my recovery is help >others, and this post is meant to be helpful, not hurtful, please take it
>that way.

so noted

>I have noticed in several threads lately, that some folks are trying to drink >in moderation, and are feeling successful in that.

see my post above,

>Please understand, I’m not calling out anyone in particular (and frankly I >don’t remember the names, just a trend I’ve observed, and If I felt the >need to call someone out I would do it in a private message). However, in >my opinion, drinking in moderation does not work.

perhaps not for everyone, i recall checking out a site, I think it was
a nih site check out

Resources - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

>If anyone is able to drink in moderation, then good for you.
>But you are on the wrong website, why are you here? I suggest that you >do some introspection about why you felt inclined to register on a website >called soberrecovery.com which, as the name implies, is about being sober. >It seems like an oxymoron to me to post on soberrecovery.com and than >try to drink in moderation (an alcoholic rationalization). Maybe there is a >website called “drinking in moderation.com” or some such thing, but the >people on this website (my generalization, I know) can’t do that.

At the time i registered here i was not sure about my drinking.
i need to stop, was looking for help, and wanting to learn from
others. I was also looking for info on the withdrawal symptoms
i was dealing with. I found this place to be a wealth for info and
help.

>Personally, I’ve tried the moderation thing many times, along with countless >other drinking-rationalization games, and it doesn’t work. For me, it’s >pretty much all or nothing. I suspect many of you are the same.

yes true, many not all. An example; i was taking a drug under a Dr's
orders, this drug caused me to have a side effect (diarrhea). When the
Dr. and i talked about it, He said that the side efect i had was not even
listed as a one for that drug. My answer to him was "Yes true, how
ever any drug even a new in stage 3 clinical trials is only tested on at the most 20 to 40k people, dude... maybe i am one in a one hunderthousand"

>Those of you, who post about successfully drinking in moderation, may >inadvertently be giving others the false hope that they can do it too.

true, this is something for each person to work out for them self. And
it would be wrong of me to tell other that they could change and drink
in moderation. There are useful tools here that one can use to look at
and evaluate their drinking. How one use these tools and what they
build with them is a personal one. The "house" that i build with a set
of tools will be different from the house you build from the same tools

>Bottom line, I don’t think anyone who’s registered on this web site can drink >in moderation, long term. If you have taken the time and effort to come out >of the closet and register on soberrecovery.com, you have a drinking >problem, Period. I think the only person you are fooling is yourself.

I'm sorry, but i must respectfully disagree with you on this point. Some people are here to gain in site into there friends and lovers drinking
troubles. Others are here may not drank in a long time and are here to
help others.

Last edited by Dee74; 10-15-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Removed link