View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post
Drinking in moderation to me, means being able to have maybe 2 drinks socially with friends.

i've seen it lots over the years out with workmates or whatever, somebody has 1 drink, nurses it, then gets another.

Their face gets a little flushed and they leave and don't even finish the drink.

I've never, ever been able to understand how someone can do that.

It just seems totally foreign to my idea of drinking, I've never been able to just have a couple socially, the point has always been to get wasted.

If you can drink in 'moderation' you are not an alcoholic in my book.
I wish I was like that, but I never will be..ever.
I think it is important to remember that not everyone here identifies as being "alcoholic". Marajuana is my DOC, though I have also abused alcohol over the years "binge drinking", however I don't consider myself to be an alcoholic. I know that I can not moderate my pot smoking, it is all or nothing. However, I have always been able to drink socially, as described above.

I only bring this up because of this thread. It is not something I really discuss much around here as it usually results in a flame war of people shouting about how it is "impossible" to drink socially or in moderation. I would say, it may be impossible for you to drink socially, in moderation, but that is not the case for everyone.