Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by destruction View Post
This is going to be the hardest step for me. My mother is in a career field in which she will most likely lose her job if she gets a DUI. I know this is not my fault, but I also know that she will blame me rather than herself.
Ya, it's a tough one. The state finally pulled my Dad's license last year, and he tried to get it back once, but failed the test, and has pretty much decided he's not going to try it again. (He thinks he's perfectly OK to drive, but that because of a number of high-profile crashes involving elderly drivers recently, that the examiners are "using any excuse they can find to fail an old person."

OK, fine -- he can think what he wants. At this point, I no longer take issue with him on anything, because it really doesn't matter who's right. He can think he's right -- so f890ing what? I just nod my head and say, "Ya, I know what you mean."

But if he had succeeded in getting his license back, d*mn right I was prepared to call the cops and make sure they knew that he was back on the road and was not safe. The combination of his age (89!) and the fact that he still drinks a lot -- that does not make for highway safety.

If your Mom gets a DUI and loses her job as a result, who knows? That may be what it takes to bring her to "hit bottom" and do something about her alcoholism. Or it may not. But either way, getting a drunk driver off the road would be good for everyone!

T