View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zebra1275

Drinking in moderation

Nobody asked me for my opinion, so dismiss this if you want. But I’ve passed the age of 50, which I think is a milestone for throwing your opinion out and not giving a rip about what other people think about it. (And I suspect that hitting the age of 60 is the point at which a man can were black socks and sandals and walk around the beach with a metal detector and not give a rip). Anyway, one of the things I’m trying to do in my recovery is help others, and this post is meant to be helpful, not hurtful, please take it that way.

I have noticed in several threads lately, that some folks are trying to drink in moderation, and are feeling successful in that. Please understand, I’m not calling out anyone in particular (and frankly I don’t remember the names, just a trend I’ve observed, and If I felt the need to call someone out I would do it in a private message). However, in my opinion, drinking in moderation does not work.

If anyone is able to drink in moderation, then good for you.

But you are on the wrong website, why are you here? I suggest that you do some introspection about why you felt inclined to register on a website called soberrecovery.com which, as the name implies, is about being sober. It seems like an oxymoron to me to post on soberrecovery.com and than try to drink in moderation (an alcoholic rationalization). Maybe there is a website called “drinking in moderation.com” or some such thing, but the people on this website (my generalization, I know) can’t do that.

Personally, I’ve tried the moderation thing many times, along with countless other drinking-rationalization games, and it doesn’t work. For me, it’s pretty much all or nothing. I suspect many of you are the same. Those of you, who post about successfully drinking in moderation, may inadvertently be giving others the false hope that they can do it too. Bottom line, I don’t think anyone who’s registered on this web site can drink in moderation, long term. If you have taken the time and effort to come out of the closet and register on soberrecovery.com, you have a drinking problem, Period. I think the only person you are fooling is yourself.