Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Iwanttoheal

Hi Destruction

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you've found your way to us. Sending you lots of hugs and strength.

As a child, I was in three minor accidents in a car driven by my alcoholic father. I got lucky. What I have never been able to understand is the fact that my codependent mother let us get in the car with him.

An alcoholic family is a crazy existance where denial rules - it is not as bad as all that, he can still drive the car, he won't crash, the kids will be alright - absolutely mad, crazy thinking - total denial.

My father lost his license for two years - did it stop the drinking - no, he died from a throat cancer, common in alcoholics who are heavy smokers.

Keep posting and keep reaching out to others. I have found so much help, support and good advice on this forum, IWTHxxx

Originally Posted by trapeze View Post

Do you get anything out of your relationship with her? Does she make you feel good about yourself like a mother should? Does she treat you the way you will treat your kids?

...I have given up on the notion of a real mother-daughter relationship with her. Fortunately, I have a wonderful 29 year old daughter with whom I am very close. As she grew up I realized that I had learned nothing from my mother about parenting, other than what not to do.
Hi trapeze

Just had to say, I read this and thought to myself, I could have written this word for word. For a moment I was sad and my stomach clenched then I remembered...

I too am very lucky, my daughter is 14 and we are also very close. I can remember when my kids were tiny, I promised myself that they would know what hugs, kisses and cuddles were and that I would get as many as I could before they grew up and didn't want any more. We are blessed both my teenagers still come to their Mum and Dad for hugs and cuddles

IWTHxxx