View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

You obviously didn't read the op, hence your reply.

The op didn't state that he couldn't attend NA meetings, merely that going to NA meetings was not possible due to the choices he made. Going to the Y instead of an NA meeting, for example.

I boldfaced the bits that I thought were relevant, I think that everyone, regardless of their recovery program would agree that honesty should probably be the centerpiece.

How one could reconcile drinking while attending a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous is beyond my comprehension.

I suspect there are folks that attend AA as opposed to NA for one simple reason, NA is pretty upfront about recovering addicts using other substances, and it dovetails pretty nicely with what is referred to as the 'recovery industry' stance.

"Recovery doesn’t stop with just being clean. As we abstain from all drugs (and yes, this means alcohol and marijuana too) we come face to face with feelings that we have never coped with successfully. We even experience feelings we were not capable of having in the past. We must become willing to meet old and new feelings as they come." NA "For The Newcomer"

I could go on about how confusing it might be for an alcoholic newcomer to sit down at the table and listen to stories from recovering addicts, and then see that addict drinking outside that meeting, but this topic is probably better discussed in another thread in the alcoholism forum, if you dig a little you can probably find it.