Thread: Confusion
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pennylane2009
it's all happening

Confusion

Hi everyone,

I am just five days short of the 30 day mark, and am completely and totally confused about whether or not I'm really an alcoholic. My husband and I had a deep conversation the other night, and he expressed some real skepticism over my self-diagnosis. And now I'm so confused. There is a chance I dove into this because I got really scared, because I was drinking too much and was using alcohol to deal with stress instead of just having it be something I did to be social. But maybe I'm not actually addicted? Quitting was easy, very easy.

His mom is an alcoholic, and my best friend's father was a violent alcoholic, so maybe I saw what could happen if I kept drinking so heavily and panicked. I don't know. Everyone I talk to says, if you think you're an alcoholic, you probably are. But is that true in all cases? Is there a chance I'm simply a drama queen who was temporarily drinking too much?

I'm not going back to drinking, nor am I looking for an excuse to start drinking this weekend. I am happy being sober, and plan to stay this way for a good long while. I am so frigging confused ...

Penny