Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mariechi
Well, I'm on my way

Thank you, Ashleek, for starting this thread. It's a great one! There are some wonderful stories here.

I was reminded of when I was 19 and a co-worker drove me out into the desert in the middle of the night. We worked at a restaurant. I jumped out of the car, bounced around on the pavement a bit and ran toward the lights of town. A Border Patrol car stopped. They didn't even know why they were out there, not on their route. I ended up not pressing charges because our employers minimized it with a boys will be boys attitude, made me feel it was my fault. I always wondered if my cowardice caused another woman to be harmed. It was years before I could get into a car with a man I hadn't known for years.

Three weeks ago I had to come face to face with the control that alcohol has had over me for many years. Something has changed in me. It's not only that I'm sober. There's something else. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it's good, very good. I feel more connected to life and myself or something.

Thanks again!