Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DonneIslanding

Checked out my first "in person" meeting tonight...

Hey again. Came pretty close to drinking again over the weekend and spent last night researching local AA groups to try out my first "in person" meeting.

It went smoothly enough, in the back of a small local church. Drove by at first (about 15 minutes early) and it didn't look like anyone was around. Kept on driving, turned around a few miles up and drove past to see some folks arriving in the downpour.

Parked, almost didn't walk in, but ended up deciding to. Mixed group of people in terms of ages: mostly guys tonight, though there were a few ladies (including the meeting leader). Also a couple of other "newcomers", though overall I was probably the third youngest in attendance. As such we had a newcomers' meeting. A few of the stories sounded somewhat similar to my own.

Along with the other newcomers, I spoke briefly at the end and gave a brief backstory and reason for coming (I want to quit drinking). They handed out copies of the Big Book, which was kind of surprising. Gave me a white chip as well.

Only thing that bugged me was the end when they gathered around to do the Lord's prayer, but when in Rome. I don't plan on going the "90 meetings in 90 days" route as I hope to be sober for way more than 90 days, but I've got something new to read, a whole lot of phone numbers, and a high probability of checking out another meeting tomorrow as long as my work schedule allows.