Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dawnmha

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
Dawnmha,
Forgive me if I come across a bit brash, but cutting down drinking IMHO is a dangerous method of quitting. You see, it still gives some satiation to the habit and it becomes an escape when things get rough. What happens down the line when a alcohol crave sets in on you and it is a very strong one? There is the possibility you will "ease" the the discomfort by having "just one" to take off the edge. I would be willing to bet at some point one drink would not do the job, so two probably would. The more times alcohol enters your system, the greater the chance your will to quit withers. I say this, dear one, because the taste of liquor has not fully faded from my mouth in 22 days. It was less than a month ago that I realized I had come from sobriety, to a couple of beers every other night, to finally 8 to 10 beers a night with a 1/2 pint to a pint of schnapps thrown in as starter fluid. This occurred within 3 months of sobriety.
At least try to find an alternative to the weaning process. I believe your chances of recovery will be a hundred fold better. This again is only my opinion and offered for your consideration. You are the one making the choices. I wish you the best.

Padraic
Yes, I see your point and the reason I am still drinking a little (believe me very little compared to what I was doing) is because I can tell my withdrawal symptoms are severe and I cannot see my doctor until tomorrow. I didn't want to take a chance of something fatal happening because I went "cold turkey". Anyway, I do believe a very strong and determined person could wean themselves, but I also believe (knowing the beast that is addiction) that it could so easily revert right back to where you started, if not worse. That is why I did make a doctor's appt. I had thought I could just stop without the use of drugs, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Anyway, I appreciate your input and I am listening and I hope tomorrow my doc. can put me on something to help withdrawals.