View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972 View Post
So it is about 330pm, I have no desire to drink, will get home, take the family to the gym, eat a healthy dinner then take the kids to roast smores down the street. I'd normally sit on my but watching news and drinking wine, ignoring my kids and telling them to stop "invading my airspace". What a jerk! Time to stop the nonsense, and tonight is the night!!!!!!!
Hilltopper -

Yup, that is me.

I started doing long distance running so I could say "There is no way that a person who can run a long-distance race can be an alcoholic."

I even got drunk 2 hours after finishing my longest race ever.

One thing that also helps me is reading the Adult Children of Alcoholics section of SR (Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information). I cry every time I read their stories and realize what I have done to my kids.

But, by stopping drinking, I have time to try to repair - time to try to help them grow up with less impacts of my alcoholism.

I wake up 30 minutes before my kids - thankful - so I can greet them with a smile and genuine interest in them.

It is so worth it.