Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Creekryder
Cause no harm

I may be a bit out of line here, but I have never known any alcoholic who "weened" themselves off the sauce. How many times have you gone somewhere and said "I am only going to have one drink tonight," and stuck with that lofty goal? Once I got that first drink in my belly, number two was close at hand (with three, four, and five sitting on the sidelines.) As an alcoholic, we have no control over alcohol, it controls us. I would take the suggestions of others and see your doctor. I think for the most part, you will feel better being honest to him/her and having the security of him/her aware of your situation, just in case you get a bit too jittery for comfort. And remember, just because you drink a lot, does not necessarily mean you will go through bad withdrawals. I drank for over 30 years and I had no DT's or ill effects, except post-partum from the bottle, which was in my hand practically every evening for that time. So make the move. See your doctor, and throw away that bottle and feel what it is to live again...free from addiction. My best to you.

Padraic