View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by metalbender00 View Post
Hope to meet some good people here i can relate to!
Welcome metalbender. You are almost sure to find many good people here that drank like you did.

The real question is, is meeting people you can relate to sufficient to recover?

When I got sober, I knew lots of people that drank like I did. I could relate to them all. And they were easy to find amongst my group of friends and on the barstool next to mine.

When I wanted to quit drinking, I found a group of people who drank like I did, but also wanted to stop drinking. Every one of them had an opinion about how to best go about that. Most of them, myself included, ended up drunk within a year.

To recover, I had to meet some people that had a solution to my alcoholism. They walked me through the 12 Steps of AA, showing me the nature of my condition, my physical and mental reaction. They pointed out the hopelessness of my own experience. They showed me how to take actions that brought the necessary power into my life to quit drinking for good and all. They showed me how to have a spiritual awakening that took away my problem with booze and profoundly changed my life.

Since that time, I've enthusiastically tried to carry that same message to others. It's proven to be a really effective way of turning those days of not drinking into years of sobriety.