Thread: I am a dreamer
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GiveLove

That's all I wanted too - just someone healthy.

At a therapist's suggestion, I started doing what healthy people do, hanging out where healthy people hang out. Rather than sit at home and watch the worst of humanity do their sick dance on TV and movies, on his orders I started to seek out and become a part of healthy communities where I'd be likely to meet people who had common values and common interests.

Before, I had avoided such things because I didn't think healthy people would "get" me. I traveled in circles with other damaged people because they made me feel understood.

Now, in hindsight, I can see the pattern:
I was damaged and wanted to feel understood
So I stayed around other people who were damaged and therefore understood me
Which was nowhere near where healthy people were
So I viewed the world as being full of pain and suffering
Which made me sad and afraid
So I stayed around other people who were damaged and therefore understood me...

And around and around I went.

When I cracked out of that cocoon and forced myself to start being around positive, creative, optimistic people, at first I felt like a freak. But the more time I spent around kindred spirits, the more I saw that my view of the world as a horrible place was skewed by many things: TV, movies, popular songs, the news, etc.

Quietly traveling among all of that bad news, there is an entire community full of people who are healthy, "normal," worthwhile and beautiful. They are raking my handicapped neighbors' leaves without any expectation of special treatment or compensation. They are in the back row of the community meeting set up to talk about creating a new park for the kids. They are volunteering at the library, putting covers on books because they love books, or helping kids read. They are at the community college's night class on "Painting for the Complete Idiot" because they have always wanted to paint.

They are out there, you just never read about them, and if you isolate, or watch the media a lot, or only travel in circles where pain is the topic du jour, you never meet them.

Before I made a concerted effort to do this, I was seeing the world through a glass darkly, and spent much of my time in deep depression and isolation.

Hoping that you find that place where your kindred spirits are hiding, worthy. They ARE out there...you may just have to try very hard to go where they are.

Sorry for the novella