View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
w2ben

Question Tried to help my brother

I guess I'm looking for advice on how to have a confrontation with my brother. Six months ago he moved into my husband and myself's home. He had been forced into early retirement, ended up in bankruptcy, and was in need of a temporary place to get back on his feet. He made no effort for months to look for work but sat in our house drunk 7 days a week. My husband & I are both disabled and I was recovering from surgery. He has mowed the grass & fixed leaky faucets which have been appreciated but the dealing with his drinking has been hard on us. Each time I mention talking he flies off the handle & usually leaves for a few days. A while back he went back to the state he had come from & stayed gone a week. When he returned he said he would never drink in our house again & that he would look for work. He made some half hearted attempts to find work & did not drink in our home even though we know he goes other places to drink. Recently, he has started sneaking the booze in & comes out of his room drunk...his promise didn't last long. We plan to confront him when he returns in a few days as he has left again. What is the best way to do this without screaming, tempers,etc.?