View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
KOOKS

**Splendra** I've just come across this thread and at last things are beginning to make sense, after all these years!

AA didn't work for me because a) the religious aspect and b) the constant bringing up of the past, and living in victim mode, without ever getting to the root of the problem.

I even began to think that maybe something traumatic did happen to me in childhood and I had blocked it out, which is crazy. I was constantly looking at my past to find a reason for my addiction.

It was no use saying to me just accept it......I need to understand fully what is wrong with me.

I aslo spent too much time there, neglecting my family life.

I'm still a bit confused though. Are you saying a change in behaviour can have an effect on the chemistry in the brain? My cure is to control my emotions and behaviours? I need to know how to do this without AA, can you help please?

What is your source for this information and does the WHO recognise this theory? Where can I find more information?

I hated being called an alcoholic as I knew if it wasn't alcohol it would be something else, e.g. food, shopping, excessive exercising. I know at AA they would say that alcohol was only a symptom but then never explained further adding to the confusion.

I don't mind admitting I have an addictive personality because it makes sense.

I agree it would make sense to stop focussing on issues and look to look at Brain Chemistry and why we are addicts in the first place.

I can't wait to find out more about this and to try and find a way to live normally.