View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ago

posted in the other thread as well

Well, they say, two wrongs don't make a right, and this is a LOT more then just "two wrongs". This is like a train wreck of stupidity from the word go.

First of all, you're better off without this person.

That being said, if you want to get sober it would behoove you to start following instructions. The instructions say write it out by hand, millions of others have followed instructions, it won't kill you to get over yourself and follow instructions as well.

There is a reason in many instances early sponsorship resembles boot camp, and sponsors often bring to mind drill sergeants. They are people who are telling you to do things you don't understand, and don't want to do in order to keep you alive after you leave. You don't HAVE to understand, you just have to follow directions.

The whole idea behind the steps is to smash the ego, which is what is killing you.

That being said, when you ask someone to sponsor you, you enter into a primitive "social contract" where any sponsor worth his beans will have asked you "are you willing to go to any length?"

If you answered in the affirmative and then failed to follow instruction in the very first step, you have broken your word.

So leaving aside his ineptness for a moment, which is what sobriety is about, you made a "contract" that you didn't even honor enough to get past the first step.

On the flip side, those hazeldon questionnaires are a crock of sh1t in my book, I have done the steps repeatedly, one of them was the hazeldon format, and they are for sponsors who don't know what they are doing in my not very humble opinion.

When he/she emailed you that format (boo-hiss) they set up this situation to fail IMO, if they want to do some writing and answer questions, they hand you the printed page, period.

So you have an idiotic sponsor trying to force a recalcitrant sponsee to do something they aren't willing to do.

I would send both of you to your rooms without your supper.

For a month.

You broke your word.

Your old sponsor is an incompetent.

two wrongs don't make a right.

Maybe ask your next prospective sponsor if he has worked the steps out of the book, and ask him if he will take you through the steps out of the book and then do what he tells you and don't go answer shopping on the internet the next time you disagree with him to look for people to cosign your ********, just do what he says.

These situations are what upset us "book thumpers" so much, look what they have done to my AA.....

You got lucky.

Go find another sponsor then follow instruction.