View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Take a minute to pat yourself on the back. Fewer people celebrate the 9 month "birthday" than any other in recovery. Dunno why that is other than not many make it that far, I guess.
Thanks Joedris-

For me, after my 6 months birthday, the cravings came back with a vengence. I almost relapsed - not physically by taking a drink, but by the mental game of "wow, that wasn't as hard as I thought it was. Maybe I didn't drink so much before? I guess I'm probably not an alcoholic like some of my friends say...". This would have led to relapse sooner of later.

I have learned that I am most at risk for relapse right around my birthdays.

And so, I read, I post, I attend meetings, I talk to my sponsor, I run meetings at homeless shelters, etc. -- not because I am such a nice person, but because this is what keeps me from drinking.

So, as I have said, my posts help me stay sober - and if I can help others with some laughs about my craziness or by seeing a bit of themselves in my experience, then I am thrilled.

But, thanks again, although I think my higher power deserves more credit than I do. I appreciate and do still need the encouragement. I will try to pat myself on the back and celebrate with a really large piece of disgustingly good chocolate cake.