View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
flutter
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

lol the low carb thing made me laugh too.. I used to rationalize my drinks when I was using weight watchers to count my "points", a drink was 2 points (run and diet coke), and I would count "a" drink by a full glass of what the bartender poured me.. in my bar I always ordered double rum n diets, and they were ALWAYS overpoured. But it was just one drink!! Crazy stuff for sure!

Small piggyback on what smacked said tho too, my parents were alcoholics.. I remember when I was 18 or 19, she sat me down to really have a 'talk' with me about her ins and outs of alcoholism which was apparently supposed to be some sort of apology.. and (this is just MY perspective) as she went on and on about her drinking history, how it progressed, on and on.. I sat there and got angrier and angrier.. thinking some of it was excuse, too much info, rambling bullsh!t.. when all I wanted was an "I'm sorry" and for her to live her life in a way that SHOWED me how much she had changed. I still remember that talk, always will.. it grossed me out, and pissed me off, and told me way more information than I ever ever wanted to know about her drinking. I was thinking during the talk that what she was telling me was only helping HER, as I could care less about why she thought she drank, how much she drank or how it progressed. See, I'm 34 years old and it's still a bad memory for me.. course that's my own issue lol.. I just wanted the apology, and a life with her ongoing that no longer included alcohol. Luckily once she shut up about it, and I got past having all of that information stuck now in MY head.. I did get that life with her without alcohol. It was NOT necessary for her to spill her guts to me about it, I wish she hadn't. Might have made her feel a whole bunch better, but it sure didn't make me feel anything other than hurt, annoyance, and resentment. I've moved past that too