View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Herennow - Just keep searching until you find the right AA meeting. I don't like some of the meetings, but love others. I too am a professional and was worried about seeing people I knew, but now I don't care. I even started my AA experience using a fake name (boy, does my sponsor give me crap about that today) I sometimes run AA meetings at treatment centers for my 12th step work and every now and then I see someone I know from the "professional" community. In these cases, I see that they are feeling much more shame than I, and I try to make an effort to make them feel comfortable that I am not judging them (because I am just like them, so who am I to judge?).

I know there is a stigma but we have to focus on recovery first and what others think second. And besides, we are all there for the same reason - to recover from alcoholism.

Find the right meeting and the right people and you will get a lot of help. I would just ignore your last experience as a fluke and try again. Your recovery is worth it.