View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by Ago View Post

Personally I feel the 12 steps are sound scientifically based on my experience and observations, but not everyone feels that way, and quite frankly I have tried to explain my views how it is possible to work the twelve steps in a secular manner and how they are nothing but a mathematical equation that will bring about a personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism, but once again, the nature of the spiritual terms involved frequently causes controversy.
I absolutely agree.... and I understand how you got to that point. But what if spirituality is just as legitimate as neurobiochemistry in term of it's science?

ie... the 12 steps as a mathematical equation... Just as say, CBT as an equation... etc. You have a better working knowledge of this stuff than I.... but spirituality as a recovery tool, I think every bit as scientific and legitimate as the others....

But that's where I come in and say... I don't think science will ever be able to quantify and label the spiritual in a way that can be reliably, well, peer reviewed using the scientific method, proven. Hmmm, sounds like I contradict myself... I could edit what I just said, but I'll let it stand or fall on it's own ....

So yea, Ago, I get it.

Mark