View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by biravatch65 View Post
I feel that this is evidence that alcohol and drug addiction are not diseases. I agree that a spiritual solution is the best long term solution for the majority. Disease is neither cured nor arrested through prayer or spirituality however. I believe that alcoholism is a threefold malady of the mind, body and spirit. It is the will of an alcoholic that drives them to drink in my opinion.
I don't understand, what evidence? What part of will power centers in the body? Which part of will power centers in the spirit? If Will Power resides in the spirit and body, what resides in the mind then? What happens once alcohol is introduced to the body? If the first thing alcohol does is removes inhibitions chemically is it still will power even though that very same will power has been removed by alcohol in a chemical process?

So you don't believe alcoholism is "an unhealthy condition of mind or body with certain recognizable signs and symptoms" which is the definition of disease from a dictionary

I am just confused by your assertion that it's a three part malady then in the next sentence you say it centers in the will of the alcoholic, can both sentences be true especially in the same paragraph?

Did you read SFGirl's links?