View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mark75

There was a recent article in the Journal of Addiction that said that people who didn't drink where more likely to be depressed than those who do, even those who drink excessively. Those who drank excessively, however, were more likely to suffer anxiety.

Hmm... Maybe the dopamine thing, that kind of fits, uh?

Many conclusions could be reached. It does, I think, underscore the importance of some type of recovery program for those alcoholics who stop drinking. For me the spiritual solution seems a good fit and definitely has prevented depression, for me anyway.

I don't know... I just have this built in bias that there is something so intangible about our psyche that science will never find it... Maybe whatever that is doesn't have to be seen in a spiritual context... But still, we are so much more than the sum of our parts and the ratio of our neurotransmitters, for example...

Good stuff sfgirl, I know where you are coming from here... We are not unique, there are certain biochemical reasons why we feel things and how... It still leads us to the same question, right? How do we recover?

Thanx
Mark