View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pennylane2009
it's all happening

I don't want to be her

My MIL was in town this weekend. She is an alcoholic, living in massive denial. She has agreed to not drink around us anymore, which makes our interactions much more civil, tolerable, and even enjoyable. But it also means she won't stick around for long -- she comes in for two or three days, and then leaves. Which is fine, I guess.

She left yesterday after a great weekend with us and the kids, and then called last night around 9:30, sloshed. Guess she got home and celebrated with a bottle of wine. She wanted to talk to my 9yo, but was slurring her words and acting happy/jokey/belligerent. We talked for probably less than two minutes; I got off the phone as quick as I could.

I still haven't told my husband I am an alcoholic. I am really afraid he's going to hear the word "alcoholic" and connect me with his mother. So I'm trying to work on how I tell him that this is a good thing. I mean, I could continue living in denial, like she is, and eventually one day wreak as much havoc on our lives as she has done to us in the past. Or I can work now on being healthy and sane, and live a serene life.

I am so stressed about this. I keep wanting to say it, and I can't get the words out.