Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Daisy09
Optimist

Hello all I thought you might be a great bunch to approach with a question I've got:

I'm currently teaching my daughter's Sunday school class (we're Unitarian Universalists) and I've been having interesting conversations lately with a lot of the parents. Our curriculum for this year is "Stories About God" (which if you know anything about UUs is a surprising topic to find!) Many of us, myself included, are having a problem with it for a couple of reasons:

1. the assumption that there is some sort of "god" (amusingly, two pf the parents suggested using the term "higher power" instead ) as several of the parents are staunch atheists,

2. the assumption that no matter what you refer to as "god" that it is basically the same thing for everyone. My take on it was that some people worship trees; they don't think trees are "god" they just love trees,

3. the class is 6 year olds, so it's tough because they want concrete answers to their questions, and, being UUs, were not really overflowing with concrete answers.

So here's the question I pose to you all: Do you have any ideas/suggestions/thoughts on how to present, to a group of 6 year olds, the idea that many people believe many different things that some call "God" and some don't, while maintaining the validity of all these beliefs, including atheism?

Thanks in advance for any input/insight you might have

~Daisy