View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

What an incredible 3rd step! Congratulations!

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
Personally, I am finding step 3 to be an ongoing process of acceptance. I still fight it big time but I am making progress.

-Acceptance that I am an alcoholic - that I will never drink like a normal person.

-Acceptance of the past. I can't change it.

-Acceptance of other people just the way they are. I have very little influence over them. I can only try to be kind & loving - the rest is up to God.

-Acceptance that I am not perfect, that I will make mistakes. But that I am a good guy!

-Acceptance that while the future may appear uncertain, it's all God's will. I just have to roll with it.

So my part in the grand scheme of things, while important, is limited. Do my part, accept that God will take care of the rest (whether I like it or not! ).

I did have a more profound spiritual experience when I did my step 7.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
An inner peace & serenity, of forgiveness, of knowing that I would be okay. I really felt the presence of the Creator.

But it takes ongoing work to regain, maintain that inner peace, something that I am struggling with today but getting there (baby-steps).

There is nothing to fear. All the changes in your will be good (and change is a normal part of life). You are on a good path.

BB quotes from the 1st ed of the BB.