Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Iwanttoheal

Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
IWTH:

"It's the authoritarian nature of the alcoholic that filters down to the children."

You are not "trusting and believing" in your parents. You were taught to listen to them, or else!...

You never learned to trust, but you did learn to listen & obey. Problem is, as an adult, you're listening to the people that taught you, and not to the people that can help you (i.e., husband, God, and the rest of your list.)

Thank you Mike, this is very, very helpful.

I spent a lot of time a month ago looking at the abuse I and my brother experienced as children. I accepted that the abuse was very, very bad. As a child, my role in this was passive, non-challenging - it had to be to ensure my safety and survival. Yes, oh yes, I definitely learnt to listen and obey.

Just working my way through this....

As an adult, I moved away from the physical abuse and neglect but because I was still in contact with them, the verbal and psychological abuse continued. I tried to counteract this by restricting my contact with my alcoholic family more and more until I couldn't control my contact any more and reached my own bottom.

I've never thought about their everyday voices as being abusive but it is the same dynamic - I gave their voices power because that is what I learnt as a child - I learnt to obey. That is why, when I did the opposite of what they wanted I always felt as if I was in the wrong, I never could be at ease with my own decisions until they were appeased.

It explains so much - it explains why I always dropped everything when they called. It explains why my mother who used to use physical and verbal force to get me to comply as a child, switched to emotional manipulation and passive agressive behaviours to get me to comply as an adult. And she was so successful in these behaviours because I adopted my learnt passive, submissive behaviour and listened in order to obey.

Thanks Mike, you have helped me lot today. I can also rest easy because my husband and I are not exposing our children to these damaging dynamics.

IWTHxxx