View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 04:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

kind of use a combination of AA and CBT, though that may seem strange.
Oz that is one of the great things about AA, there are all sorts of combo recovery programs, the root of my recovery and others is in the program as spelled out in the Big Book, and the fellowship. Added to that some use religion, therapist, recovery & spiritual books, and even other programs to supplement thier recovery.

Heck even in the Big Book golks using AA for thier recovery are encouraged to supplement thier programs, in Chapter 6 (Into Action) of the BB it says:

If we belong to a religous denomination which requires definite morning devotion, we attend to that also. If not members of religous bodies, we sometimes select and memorize a few set prayers which emphasize the principles we have been discussing. There are many helpful books also. Suggestions about these may be obtained from one's priest, minister, or rabbi. Be quick to see where religous people are right. Make use of what they offer.
In AA we are encouraged to seek recovery where ever we may find it to strengthen our programs.

Do not get me wrong, I know some folks in AA that totally ignoring the above quote straight out of the Big Book who say things like "If it ain't in the Bog Book it ain't recovery!".

I always keep in mind that there are no rules in AA, only suggestions.