View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Latte

Hey there! I'm a recovering opiate addict. It's been a few 24 hours and I have to admit, a lot of days the only thing that keeps me clean is the thought of the detox.

It isn't bad that you have to go through this because today I can chase my kids, I have lost almost 50lbs because I have so much more energy and can work out. The rewards are much greater than that though. About six months or so into my sobriety MY energy and vitality started to come back. It takes longer for some, shorter for others, but that is how long it took me. I hung on every day, some by seconds. Some days all I could do was get up and breathe. Years ago when my first marriage was ending and I was so hurt my Mother gave me some amazing information. She said, 'it just takes time Latte." She was right. It just took time. I was married to opiates for several years and it just took time for me to "divorce" them.

I live in the moment and in a lot of ways, it helps me relate to my children.

It does get better!

You have gotten a lot of advice about how to deal with a lot of the physical issues of withdrawals, but the spiritual part is what truly saves my rear end every time.

Yep, I follow a 12 step program but there are many people who just come here and if that works for them, I'm glad SR is here.

Keep coming back. I have faith that you can do this. Together we are powerful.