View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
keithj

Ha! Hi Blarney. You don't know what a hornet's nest you may have stepped in with those questions.

I recovered by having a spiritual awakening as the result of AA's 12 steps. I worked them thoroughly and honestly as described in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. This was after was various failures with doctors, medication, counseling, outpatient treatment, inpatient rehab.

I've been around for a little bit and work with a lot of newcomers to AA and recovery. What I have seen in that experience, is that an alcoholic who honestly and thorough works the steps like I did, never fails to recover. I haven't seen it yet.

Never. Sounds like a mighty different stat than the one you found. Bear in mind that there is a huge difference between going to AA meetings and taking the steps that will lead to a spiritual awakening. I think the stat you found lines up pretty well with my experience of the people that come to meetings. Most do not finish the steps and most fail to stay sober.

If you're willing to follow directions and take the steps, you will absolutely recover. If you're willing to come to meetings and hang out, well, it depends. Some folks can stay sober on support and fellowship. I could not. I needed that complete psychic change. The AA program of recovery is really directed at those of us like me.