Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Did my presentation for class last night. And I hate doing them, I'm always so nervous. It was 10 times worse with this one because I was presenting 4 papers on the same subject and two of them were coauthored by my professor. He's the head of the department and crazy arrogant. When I finished my presentation he walked to the front of the room and started scribbling on my Power Point with the SmartBoard markers (it's a huge touch screen/projector screen mounted on the wall, and has "pens" so you can use it as an electronic white board. I love the SmartBoard... when it works). So my presentation went on for about 20 extra minutes and all I had to do was sit behind the desk and let Dr. Ego talk about his own work (he did this with 2 other presentations last night... geez. He's basically just assigning his own research for us to read and comment on). Once I finally sat down, breathing a sigh of relief that it was over, he started in again: "Not to jump on your presentation, but you used the word dolostone. We don't use it, it's dolomite never dolostone." So basically this term is a bit antiquated, but about half the papers I used as sources use it, which is why I used it. I didn't really care but I thought it was a bit out of line that he called me on something that wasn't terribly important in front of the ENTIRE class. The saving grace is that everyone thinks he's an ass anyway so it reflected back on him mostly.

It stressed me out and I got home and... dammit. The fridge was fully stalked. An 18-pack and a 24-pack and roommate and his friend were about 4 beers into their evening. Meh. I went to my room and watched movies on my laptop. They sounded like they had fun though, I was kinda jealous.

Good news though. It's been 4 months since I quit dope. A new record for me! I hadn't really thought of it in a while, walked into my bathroom yesterday and *BAM* I had this little "flashback" to smoking dope with my boyfriend (we always smoked in the bathroom so the vent fan would carry the smell out of the apartment). I kinda had the taste of dope in my mouth this morning, but it's happening less and less. I just realized this morning it was 4 months. Feeling great. Glad to be away from that crap.

So what am I on now.. day 5 or 6 without beer. Getting better. Starting to get the kinks worked out again. HP, hope you're doing well with it, too.

Keep up the good work, y'all.