Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Freeport

Day 10 – Great autumn evening last night. Assisted local Cub Scout den leader with a field trip at a local park focusing on forestry. Kids ran pretty crazy but I think they learned something about trees and forest fauna. Either way, it beat sitting in a cafeteria trying to maintain order with a PPT slideshow...

One of best things about sobriety is that I'm not thinking about getting home, getting kids to bed, and then knocking down several beers as my evening "release." I and my family just live. Booze isn't even on my mind.

Thanks for those who responded to my "dry drunk" question. Sounds like a little research on my part would have answered the query w/out bothering folks here.

Nonetheless, the term and its implication is upsetting. No, I haven't joined AA or any other program, but I resent a label like "dry-drunk" that places people (perhaps like me) in sober purgatory. I've invested a lot of effort and willpower to achieve 142 days of sobriety, and I'm happy for me. I occasionally am tempted by alcohol, but I don't consider myself a martyr nor do I harbor resentment at those who choose to drink. A few people who have demanded to know why I'm not drinking irritate me, but I ultimately figure to hell with them: I'm in a good place and I know it.

I don't know. Maybe dwelling on the term suggests it applies to me more than I care to admit...