View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

Isn't it just delightful what we start worrying about once we get clean/sober? As a crack addict, I didn't care about make up, hair, weight... Whether I was tan or fit. I did take my showers. But everything else was set aside for the drugs. Then when we quit we take notice of the changes that have happened as a result of our using and what is now happing as a result of our non-use. Lucky me, I lost 130lbs in less than 9 months of smoking. I'm almost 8 months clean and have gained about 10lbs. I didn't care whether I lost or gained weight, at first, because my life was at stake. Weight will kill us slower than drugs. I know it may seem like such a panty buster (pun intended) right now, but in the bigger picture, weight gain or loss should be taken with a grain of salt and worried about later down the road.
If you cannot bring yourself to do this, use the sweet tooth/comfort foods thing as a reward system. Allow yourself one indulgent food (candy bar, twizzlers, ice cream, buttery popcorn, smashed potatoes, whatever your choice) for every day you are clean/sober. Or one a week. Even better. You make it through the week and get a nice treat. I did that with breaking my crack habit. At the end of the week, I'd buy something yummy (Subway, Wendy's, Chipotle) with the money I saved by not smoking crack. On my 30 days, I got a CD that I had really been wanting. Got another CD on my 60 days. I treated myself to BBQ Chicken wings on my 90 days. I stopped doing the rewards since then, and feel comfortable enough to actually worry about something other than whether or not today will be the day I slip and get crack. Instead I worry about when we're going to get the seat belts and radio installed on my race car so I can run her on the road. I also started that diet, and park farther out in parking lots for a nice walk to the store. I'll increase the walking in a week or so, to walking in the parks or by the river, or just around the neighborhood, and enjoy the sights and sounds that passed before me when I used to hole up in my ex's house, smoking crack all week long and weekends.. How horrible I let two years go by without enjoying my FAVORITE season! Autumn is here in Ohio, or at least close enough. LOL. I got a lot of time to make up for and plan to enjoy all that our season has to offer. It feels fantastic. And my pants are already getting loose again. So I know it's working.. Though I'll have to make more efforts to exercise. Colder weather means nice, warm, heavy soups.. LOL