View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pennylane2009
it's all happening

Packing on the pounds?

So, much to my surprise, I stepped on the scale this morning and discovered I've gained four pounds in the last week!! Yikes. I somehow thought I'd lose weight since I'm not taking in alcohol calories anymore, but I guess not. I've been eating lots of comfort foods, so I shouldn't really be surprised that I'm putting on weight. I'm 10 days sober now.

The odd thing is, I feel mentally skinnier. I've organized the kitchen and my office, so that feels better, and my mind feels a lot lighter. So I don't feel like I'm adding weight to my body, but I clearly am.

I know how to diet and lose weight, so I'm not really looking for advice on how to do that, but I'm wondering if the weight gain issue is normal in early sobriety. Not sure I have the mental strength right now to tackle weight loss in addition to not drinking -- it might be just too much to take on at once. I am trying to be nice to myself and give myself time and space to get better ... even if that means having a pancake for breakfast instead of fruit.