View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RocketsintheSky

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Hi

I have used valerian root. It doesn't put me right to sleep. It has a mild calming effect and I think it does help a little get to me to sleep. I like it, no side effects. I don't use it regularly.

I have used melatonin. It actually works a little better, but I don't like it. For me, it makes me cranky the next day, my experience is not typical and I haven't heard many complain about that. Rozerem is a prescription sleep medicine and it is somewhat based on melatonin... it works a little bit, but like the melatonin.... makes ME cranky.

Both of these work better if used regularly, so for a one night "stand", may not work as well.

I like plain old benadryl. Some may object... mind altering and all that... For me, it does not affect my sobriety, doesn't cause any cravings, and I feel better if I sleep. I think it's fine, although some don't... my brother is 24 years sober, he uses it too, occasionally and he doesn't worry about it either.

What you need to do is your business, whether it affects your sobriety, is between you and your HP. You could also see a doctor, there are some non-benzo options out there... though some of them have dependency issues... some don't.

Now get to sleep ....

Mark
Weird I never feel any sort of mid-alterning effect from benedyl, at all. i just feel normal, i take it and get super tired and fall asleep, wake feeling amaaing with no morning groggy hangover feeling bc it lasts 3 hours. so is's well done by the time you take up. It' my fav think, better then like zopiclone an other stuff.