Thread: Need job advice
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Welcome to SR!

I just wanted to give you a little advice as a former RN. I would HIGHLY recommend you get a very good start on your recovery before you begin your nursing career. Nursing is stressful, to say the least. There are several nurses on this board who can back me up, as well as some who are no longer nurses, like me.

I was a nurse for a little over 12 years. Though my license shows "lapsed" and I can still get it back, I am not ready to jump through the hoops for 4 years it would take to get it back. That's just me. I am in school to get another degree (my 3rd assoc.) in healthcare.

For now, I am waiting tables...yep, one of my last nursing jobs, I was making $40/hr. This is where addiction will take you, in no time. When I begin to interview for jobs in my new field, I will not have much option but to be a bit honest as to what happened when they ask "why did you go from a highly-certified RN to waiting tables". I'm not that worried about it. I'm hoping my grades will hold up (they're in the mid 90's), I have years of good experience, I've been clean over 2-1/2 years, and HP will take care of the rest.

I hope you continue to read and post. Whether or not you lose your job, there is a great amount of support here and you WILL survive, no matter which way it turns out. I wish you the best!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy