View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Gypsy Feet
mergirl

I wanted all of my kids/wards to do community college first. Its a good solid way to get your GE classes done, and gives you time to explore what you really want to do. the graphics trade school is/was fine if you are 100% sure. I do think if there is a course you love there, keep it just for the joy and experience of getting back into learning, and then get in some CC classes as soon as you can.
When I first went back to school I was a wreck. I wanted to be therapist, or help kids in some way. Then I started working as a teacher's aide and decided teaching was my calling. I got my BA, then my credential, and then my own class, but in that district there was no room for what I wanted/needed to do for those kids. I work in a totally different field now, and am not using my schooling but I have no regrets. I love my job, and the cool thing about schooling is you get to keep it, no one can take away the degree or the knowledge you gain.

And trish about the advice that stings: Everyone here is coming from a place of caring and concern. When people get passionate about something in early recovery, be it a move, career change or romance, it can be scary to watch. It is only the stuff we really care about and want badly that can really rock our world when it doesn't go right.

I am so excited to watch this transformation, and want only good things for you honey, and I'm betting everyone else on this thread is rooting for you as well.