View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
Being angry and thinking that your therapist "isn't getting it" is sometimes a sign of progress.
I've had some pretty good luck with the professional therapists I've chosen over the years so my experience is if there are two of us sitting there and one of us isn't "getting it" it's usually not the paid professional sitting across from me

However, with court ordered therapists and shrinks Ive been able to tie those fools into knots and my opinion is those idiots couldn't find their @ss with two hands and a map.

I say this because I have been sitting in on a class where a few people just don't understand what the counselor is trying to say, they repeat themselves over and over in a feeble attempt to explain their "point of view" because they think the counselor "just doesn't get it" when in fact nothing could be further from the truth, it's not the counselor who is in denial.

been there done that, now I try to pay attention when either a paid professional or someone with direct experience tries to explain something to me.

here, go read this thread for an example of what that looks like

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

The OP is explaining the same thing over and over to a group of people who obviously "don't get it"

What is your opinion of that thread after 6 months of sobriety (you go girl) who doesn't get it, the group trying to explain twisted thinking, or the person defending their choices to behave the way they are and why they have to continue to behave that way?

just a thought, I am trying to allow myself to be open to new experiences and see what people have to offer outside of my rigid thought patterns, since they are what harmed me in the first place

PS I agree wholly with SFGirl and Mattcake