SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Grateful I found this site...
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
DonneIslanding

Grateful I found this site...

Hi, DonneIslanding here. Long time drinker, first time poster.

I'm almost 26 and have been drinking heavily on and off for the past 8 years (basically since I went to college). There are periods where I don't drink very often, but when I pick up the bottle again it's often to the point where I'm prone to make some very big mistakes.

I've realized for a while now that I have a problem with drinking. There's a lengthy history of alcoholism and mental health issues in my family, but I want this account to be about my issues and me getting the support I need.

I guess some would label me as a "highly functional alcoholic". I did well throughout college despite ruining quite a few relationships/friendships and graduated with high marks. I've done well enough at work to really earn the trust of my employer and contribute to the firm, and really don't want to screw my future up due to my drinking.

My work requires me to work remotely and travel pretty frequently. It has some perks, but about a year ago I got a bit strung out due to my non-stop "partying" while living alone in a large Midwestern city and realized I needed a change of environment. So I went cold turkey and relocated to the burbs in the Mid-South (I know, I know, euphemism for "Deep South") to live with two friends from college, one of whom is a coworker. Things went nice and sober for about a month or so but the coworker relocated back to his home state. I now live with a friend who's also very busy and don't see family in person very often and when I'm not on the road traveling for work there are days where I don't see many people.

Anyways, not too long after the move I reverted to my typical ways of drinking too much. I would stop for a few days or even a couple of weeks, but eventually resort to the easy way out.

I found this site last Sunday and began reading with great interest. Things were good and I didn't even have the desire to have a drink from Monday until Thursday as I'd rather read these forums. Then the weekend hit and I threw back quite a few with the wrong type of "friend" and eventually went on a 24 hour nonstop drinking binge (from Saturday evening to last night). Woke up this morning determined to feel hungover for the last time and decided to transform from a "Guest" to a poster.

Also I should say that due to my location, work situation (often on the road) and secular nature, I doubt traditional AA would work for me. I plan on mostly posting here, the Secular forums, and the Mental Health forum as I feel that those are most likely to provide the type of support I need.

I'm going to give this a shot and if I'm still struggling by the time my lease is up in a few months, I'm going to move back in with some supporting family and give the "in person" approach a shot.

Man it feels good to get that off my chest...

Thanks in advance!
DonneIslanding is offline   Reply With Quote