View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
sfgirl

I'm pretty sure it is a therapist's job to work through their issues to the point that they don't flinch when and if someone bashes something or presents something they don't agree with. I think it is called transference/countertransference. I know in another section of this class I have to take soon the teacher purposely said something homophobic to trigger the gay students in class. I think it really upset one and he left. But the point was what happens when you have a client who says something like that in a session? What do you do? And it is your job to be able to handle it, not by chiding them for being homophobic, in this case, but by keeping it therapeutic. So same thing goes if you say atheist things that in a normal setting might upset her, but she should be able to take those and be empathetic and understand it and not try to convert you but work through your pain surrounding religion while keeping her own issues out of it. That is her responsibility and job. You could always bring up your hesitancy with her about talking about these things and see what she says. I mean right there you will know. If she says, let's discuss your discomfort, that is a good thing, if she tries to convert you or tells you she is uncomfortable talking about it then you need to switch therapists. My bet though is it will be the first one.

And, I have def told you this before, but as for the atheist gay virgin, I think you need to come to SF because pretty sure there is probably a club for you here and any other fun subculture you can think of