View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
puckettcg

Well, today he said he wanted help, and that he thought he needed to go into an inpatient treatment program. His last drink was yesterday; today, he's been mostly in bed, not feeling well. He says he's scared. I'm trying to get him into inpatient treatment, but called and they are full right now. So, what I have to wait until he goes into DT's? Good news is that he's not nearly as bad as last time, and its been more than 24 hours. I did find an outpatient detox program that I'm going to call in the morning - they take his vitals and start the Detox via IV vitamins, phenobarbitol and fluids, which they say takes about 3-4 hours. If he's doing okay, they send him home as long as he has a caregiver to administer the drugs and keep an eye on him for the next few days, and he comes in daily to be checked out. My Mom, who is an RN, said she'd help me with that. They also have a follow-up program which includes counseling, recommended 12 step program, and they will also prescribe Naltrexone and/or anti-craving medications.

At any rate, I guess I'll be keeping an eye on him tonight - and I'll take him to the ER at the first sign of DT's. So far, he's physically uncomfortable - but doesn't have the shakes, and no hallucinations or vomiting. He seems able to eat fine, and I've been giving him vitamins and plenty of gatorade. He said he has a headache. Last time, the shakes and hallucinations started immediately, although by day 4 when I got him to the hospital, he was actually believing his hallucinations. Four days into his hospital, and he was still convinced that everything happened in his hallucinations.

I can't believe he finally decided he needed to go to inpatient and I can't find one with a bed. I checked my insurance company website 100 miles out.