View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grace

Hi Standing Strong!

I completely understand what you're talking about. I have always been the same way. People close to me just expected me to explain BECAUSE my entire life I was put on the defensive. I learned that I was not good enough. I was put down. Every decision that I made on my own was criticized and questioned. It taught me to not trust myself, my own judgement, and my own decisions.

Now, when I sense that someone is trying to put me on the defensive or get me to explain something that is TRULY none of their business, I give them a very brief 'yes' or 'no' answer. NO EXPLANATIONS!!!! It is very distressing to the busybodies. They want dirt, they want answers, they just want to have control.

My motto is "When in doubt, DON'T." If I'm unsure about a decision, then I don't make it yet. Don't let other people pressure you. You will know when you've made the right decision.

I am slowly learning that I CAN trust myself. I CAN make good decisions. I'm not stupid. Most important.........I DON'T need to explain myself anymore. Looking back on my life, I can honestly tell you that some of my deepest regrets were brought about by the choices that I made based on what someone else told me to do. I am learning to trust myself and my own judgement. Thank God, literally!!!

Good luck and take care!
Grace