Thread: Honesty
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jules62

Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
I am sure the reasons are endless.
They are in the mind of any alcoholic/addict-but they're never good or even valid reasons.You know this.

But I just thought of it the other night when I was posting in the chat meeting thread about my SR goal being to host a meeting. But I needed 6 mos first. It just made me think of so many times I could have gained something some way or another and saved myself some set backs had I lied.
But I just can't bring myself to do it.
And just what would you have gained that was valuable when you would've known in your heart you were basing it all on a lie about your clean time? I'm sorry Trish but I'm a firm believer in you cannot give away what you don't have.I'm glad you couldn't bring yourself to do this.It would lessen you.One of the things I've always loved about you is your honesty.

So I am just curious that some people may do it to get past some hurdles in life. Where a shorter clean time may prevent them from doing certain things.
I have never seen anyone committed to recovery 'benefit' in any way by lying about their clean/sober time.That's not to say I haven't seen people do it-both here and offline.But they have never gained, grown, become better people for it.I just see more pain, more secrets, more lies they have to try and uphold and more personal shame.I know I couldn't live with that burden anymore ages ago.It's like a double whammy if I can't be honest with the people who are supporting me in recovery and I want to be free of all that.What's the point otherwise?

Just my 2cents worth.
Jules xox