Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jade09

I am new at going to AA. It will be three weeks ago this Monday since my first meeting. I tried, really honestly tried, to get sober on my own for almost 4 years--the worst 4 years of my life. Out of desperation, and just completely lost on what to do next, I forced myself to go. By the end of the first meeting, I actually felt relieved. My life is in a horrific state right now, but I know I am finally on my way to the life I really want to be living.
Maybe because you are 9 months into your sobriety, and have found what works for you, this one meeting did not effect you in the way it did me in the desperate state I was in. I realize the answer is not AA, the answer is me doing what I need to do to change my life around. The meetings are just support, guidance and HOPE that I too can beat this and actually be happy again one day. Some of the people are worse off then me, but most of the people are happy. Happy with themselves, happy with thier lives, and willing to share and help if they can. I WANT THAT!! So it helps me so much...I try to make it to a meeting everyday, and every single time I walk out I feel so much better than I did walking in. I know I'm getting closer, day by day. I hope you can get more out of it. Give another meeting a try. And if you decide it doesn't work for you, than at least you know you gave it a shot.
Congrats on your 9 months!!!