Thread: NeedAdvise
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Saphie

NeedAdvise

I'm still feeling fine and more determined than ever. But........ I really do need all you wonderful people that might be in the same situation as me to let me know how to deal with a problem (this might be a long one-sorry): I just told my husband that I've joined a support group. I was dumb struck when he asked me 'for what'? This from the man that sat next to my bed in the ER two years ago when I was going through the DT's. This from the man that didn't go to the family introduction in rehab (mandantory if you want to visit), because he had errands to run. This from the man that makes me go to 4th of July parties and tells me to take the dog as it would give me something to do. This from the man that is now forced not to drink a lot because it causes him to get gout - ironic isn't it. He told me he felt bad that he couldn't do it for me. Anyway cutting an already long story a little shorter: How do you live with someone that is standing in the way of your recovery? How???? I know your first instinct is to tell me to leave, but that's not an option for various reasons. You see I moved from Europe to be with him, I gave up a house, career and friends. What little money I brought with me is gone. I'm 49, my sons are grown up and have their own problems. Also my husband is in heart failure and I'm the one with a job and insurance. It's a no win situation. Oh yes and that little fact that I do still love him. Crazy or what? If any of you have any suggestions to get through this I would be so grateful. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know it was very personal but I really had to get it of my chest. Thanks again.