View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Linkmeister

TakingCharge:

Just the post I needed to read tonight, after a long, stressful week of finding my new little place in the world.

A little background-ABF and I have decided to live apart while he and I pursue our recoveries-him in AA, me in Al-Anon. Where he is living is within walking distance of work andthe 3 daily meetings he goes to.

We have been to hell and back (and who knows if there's a trip there in the future) and I knew there was no way I could stay in our current place-aside from the good and bad memories here, I have an upstairs tenant who I swear, has brought a herd of elephants into her place and they run up and down, up and down along with her kid, her dog, 3 cats, a tankful of fish and a ferret. Drives my dog nuts daily, nightly and all points in between. The place is rundown now and isn't too close to town-public transit is infrequent. It's a busy road with lots of truck traffic and very noisy.

Well, in looking for a place, I found what I thought was the ideal place but my new landlord was rather unscrupulous and to be honest, had ulterior motives-he was quite upset when he found out that I did indeed have a boyfriend-they met one night and neither one liked each other. So, based on that, the new landlord had "red flags" and balked when I requested that we sign leases and the like and bottom line, 2 weeks before my move, he backed out of the deal. OK, I had booked movers, done all of the things you do when you move, this place had been rented, so I was left scrambling badly.

All of this week, I have been looking high and low - had to be pet friendly, near a bus route, in a decent part of town. I scoured Kijiji, craigslist, our local papers and lists from Property Management Companies. Nothing suitable, or the places had been scooped up.

Yesterday, had an interview with a property management lady-she reminded me of "George Costanza's" mother on the old Seinfeld show, she asked dozens of questions, was concerned, almost obsessed about me not working, in spite of me showing her alternate income, a good credit score and the like, she was almost insinuating that ABF was going to be living with me (he came with me to the house showing), is spite of me and him telling her that it wasn't like that...it was quite the interview.

After that, yesterday was a pretty crummy day for me and I was feeling pretty down on myself, going crazy, wondering where I was going to live. So, I went back at it today - different company, different places. Went in to look at one place and ended up looking at another-it was ideal for me and my pup-in a good neighbourhood, near the water, quiet, near transit....it was perfect. SO, filled out the application without the interrogation techniques and the lady promised that she would let me know 1st thing on Monday. Well, I'm looking at another place at 4pm-the property management office calls-they expedited my application and I am the proud renter of the place I was meant to live it. After I hugged ABF and danced around, my cell rings-it's it's the George Costanza mother look alike-they could not get hold of my landlord, so they would have to wait till Monday-told them that my current manager did it and I had a place! I wish I'd been there to see her face fall!!!!!! After that, 4 other prospective landlords called-they all wanted me.

But, I got the place I wanted, the one I was meant to be in.

My higher power was there with me, all of the time, guiding me to this place.

What a way to end the week!!

SO, TC, you and I both have our new little corners of the world, all as it was ordained to be.....