View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
smacked
Heathen

Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Wow, thank you all so much for such a warm & unexpected welcome. I'm very glad to have discovered this place. I feel very fortunate to have done so.

Seems like the mission of SoberRecovery is a community support effort, but maybe its worth mentioning that it functions very well as a cautionary tale for people like me.., As I've read some of your posts, I've been stunned to realize that it really can get that bad, and that's a good thing. I didn't realize it was humanly possible to survive some of the quantities related even once, much less habitually & it's frightening to think I'm potentially submitting myself to the same road some of you have already tread.

Bottom line is that I enjoy drinking, but only if I do it because I want to. I think I'm starting to understand that I'm reaching or am past the point where "want to" has anything to do with it.

thanks again for the welcome, hope to get to know you guys better.

I enjoyed drinking too. Too much. I 'wanted' every drink I consumed.. too often. Too much and too often would have destroyed me if I kept it up, so I stopped. I actually didn't experience any detox/withdrawal symptoms either, and I have no idea why.. doesn't matter anyways at this point.

I have never ever regretted not drinking. On those days that still come where I do miss the taste, mind buzz, whatever.. I weigh it against what I've gained from being sober, and remind myself exactly where I'd go back to if I indulged. It's not THAT important.. that buzz or that taste. It's just a drink, right? I'm pretty ok with a Dr. Pepper and a clear head, any day!

Welcome!!!